Expectations, Disappointment, and Forgiveness

Space and space travel have always fascinated me. As a little girl, I dreamed of being an astronaut until my mother told me that you had to be good at math and science to be an astronaut. “You’re better with words,” she said. While true, I wonder to this day if this was wise council, the gentle nudging of someone that knew the world and knew what was a good fit or not a good fit for me. Or, was it the steering away from what could’ve been something really magical. I’ll never know. Or maybe I’ll figure it out in therapy one day.

One of my favorite movies growing up was Apollo 13. I owned it on VHS and would watch it on my little 13 inch TV / VCR combo. Everything about the movie drew me in. Tom Hanks, hello. The science, the relationships, the politics, the music, the sets and costumes, the hard decisions, the tragedy, the problem solving, the triumph. All of it. Amazing. As a kid, I loved reading books about the planets, learning about constellations, and looking into the Milky Way, our neighborhood, and marveling at all we know and all that we don’t know.


Tonight, I finished watching Challenger: The Final Flight, another Netflix documentary. I was alive when the Challenger disaster occurred but not old enough to remember it. So, I had a few vague facts filed away, but I really had no idea about what happened or why. I sure got answers to those questions.


As I sat in silence after the last episode concluded, completely moved, I started thinking about what we know, what we think we know, and the truth. Managing expectations is something I put my mind to often these days. This is a new practice I am trying to adopt, and it resurfaced again after watching this heartbreaking story unfold. 


How could this be? How could my beloved NASA have done this? Can I still love them? I’ve never even been to the Johnson Space Center in Houston yet. Does this mean I shouldn’t go now on principle and heartbreak? Then, I started thinking about disappointments and managing expectations.


We are all people. And we all make mistakes. Some as big and as devastating as those from NASA and Morton-Thiokol. Some are as small and ultimately inconsequential as forgetting to get the kids’ favorite cereal at the store (although this could make for NASA-level disappointment to a toddler).


There are so many horrific injustices simultaneously afflicting humanity and our earthly home. How can I manage the crushing disappointment of those near to me and those far?


In times of confusion, I often find myself asking, “What does Brene say about this?”



I expected NASA and their affiliates to be better, to be THE BEST, and am therefore disappointed. 


I expect my fellow humans to be better and am continually disappointed and disheartened and angry.


I expect myself to be better and do better, and I often fall short and am therefore disappointed in myself.


But, are we, therefore, to lower our expectations so low as to never be disappointed? This cannot be right.

Perhaps, a healthy mindset is to remember that we are all on a journey. We are all on our own unique square-foot patch of grass along the path, some further down the road, some not yet on the trail. And then, when people make mistakes, as we will do, work hard to understand, educate, and ensure that mistake is never repeated. And then forgive.


Perhaps, a bit of sleep and much discernment will bring clarity.

Comments

  1. I was in grade 5 when the Challenger exploded. I remember it well because we were in the middle of a space unit at school and we had been learning about the Challenger astronauts. It was so devastating seeing the shuttle explode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is really powerful. You have a lot packed in here. I feel sad that you were discouraged from becoming an astronaut. I remember the Challenger and how devastating the entire thing was, but I haven't watch the special--not sure I want to.

    This is the part of your post that means the most to me: And then, when people make mistakes, as we will do, work hard to understand, educate, and ensure that mistake is never repeated. And then forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to watch this! One of my favorite things to teach is the presidential response speech. It’s surprising how many skills are embedded in it. He had a great team of writers!

    Having been to both- yes! Go to Johnson. They each have different personalities as destinations.

    If you like audiobooks, may I recommend An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield, Chasing Space by Leland Melvin, and Endurance by Scott Kelly? My son and I listened to them while driving back and forth to school a few years ago. They’re SO GOOD. (Okay, they’d be good in print too. 😉You never know on audio. )

    I love your perspective about their clay feet and the introspection in this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris and I watched the Netflix special you reference a few months ago, and I too felt a deep sense of disappointment. I think it was the idea of a cover-up that made it so difficult to swallow. Yet, this proclivity lives within all of us. Owning our shit is so damn hard. I'm going to carry this one sentence with me for awhile, "There are so many horrific injustices simultaneously afflicting humanity and our earthly home." You have a way with words Mallory, and although I think you would have been fabulous as an astronaut, I'm glad you're my colleague instead. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts