Stirrings: Georgia O'Keeffe

We (and when I say we, I mean my mother and me) went to art museums often during my growing up years. It always felt like a sacred experience. We would dress a little nicer than an average day but not as nice as church wear. It was usually hot because we either were going in the summer or because this is Texas where it’s hot even when it’s not supposed to be. So, sundresses and sizzling breezes swirl in these memories, too.

Opening the door to the museum provided a unique sensory moment; feeling that rush of icy air and smelling that indescribable smell, unique like a bookstore but not as good. We’d walk in, buy our tickets, and explore. What yummy, privileged encounters these were. 


I loved the quiet. I loved the stillness. I loved that we were allowed to linger. Rushing is discouraged in these spaces. Talking in hushed tones is preferred. Walking slowly, looking, thinking, wondering, dreaming. Rule follower that I am (rebel, I am not) I was always very careful to stay far away from the art and in no way indicate that I was breathing near it nor daring to even think about touching it. My mind was free to wander to new places in the confines and security of the invisible boundaries.


The Amon Carter Museum of American Art has many Georgia O’Keeffe pieces in their permanent collection. I was immediately drawn to her work and moved by it. Like everybody, I think, going to the gift shop at the end of our visit always felt like a special treat. My mother would buy me a few postcards as commemorative artifacts. This was the first one I remember. It was push-pinned on my bulletin board in my childhood bedroom until I went to college where it came with me and adorned my drab, standard-issued desk. The colors and fluidity move me to this day.


Georgia O’Keeffe

Series 1--No. 1

1918


This is the next O’Keeffe I remember from my collection. Again, the postcard was purchased and admired for years. One birthday in my early college years, my mother bought me a large, framed print of this piece. It hung in my dorm room and now graces my dining room. 


Georgia O’Keeffe

Red Cannas

1927


I love everything about her work. It is so varied in subject matter and medium. Charcoals, lithographs, oil paintings, watercolors. Some pieces only in black and white; some splashed with color. Some pieces depict desert landscapes and companions; some capture exquisite and sensual florals. The juxtaposition astonishes me. A multidimensional woman she must’ve been to birth such varied art.


I recently rediscovered my love of O’Keeffe’s work while searching for artwork to spruce up our bedroom. While looking for new pieces to cherish, I’ve discovered her anew and returned to an old love I had forgotten. I just found out she did several pieces of my beloved New York City and that she lived there for a time. Breathtaking.


Georgia O’Keeffe

Radiator Building - Night New York

1927


My quest to redecorate our neglected bedroom led me back to an artist I connected with in my youth. I’ve journeyed her work now through my pandemic-wearied, grown up eyes, and I am still in love.


We must pay attention to the things that stir us inside. We must explore them, learn what they have to teach us, keep them dear. These stirrings are clues to our true selves. We just have to quiet the noise and still the movement long enough to remember them.


Amon Carter Museum of American Art: Georgia O’Keeffe

Georgia O’Keeffe: An Intimate Glimpse

Comments

  1. Isn't is wonderful to travel down memory lane? Even more so when you have such powerful emotions and fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved looking at these works of art. Thank you for sharing them here today!

    I haven't been to an art museum since 2019. Museum-going is one of the things I miss most about the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Georgia O'Keefe too. We have fond memories of driving from Houston to Dallas (or was it Fort Worth?) to see a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit on the last day it was open. This would have been in 1987 or 88. And we did it (ten hours of travel, 5 each way) with two toddlers in tow and memories that linger to this day. We also visited Ghost Ranch in New Mexico a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those images are beautiful, thank you for adding them to your post-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mallory, I reread this sentence several times.

    "We must pay attention to the things that stir us inside. We must explore them, learn what they have to teach us, keep them dear."

    There's a cadence to the way you crafted this profound thought, and I kept thinking, "Damn. This whole blog feels like a master class in philosophy." The art you shared enhanced the story of your childhood memories in powerful ways. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the line “yummy privileged encounters...” it’s so visceral. I can almost air. There’s a place on northern NM I’ve visited often where she painted. There is something so profound about her work. I love that you rediscovered her and I appreciate the reminder to pay attention to the things that stir us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our art teacher at school just did a lesson on Georgia O'Keefe's skulls. I'm not sure how she got the idea to make a skull beautiful, but that is certainly part of her genius. I didn't know she didn't know she did New York City, too. I've seen some of her florals in museums and they are breathtaking. I love the images you included in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at sun dresses and sizzling breezes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts