A Venture into Veganism: Consistent Outcomes

Yesterday afternoon left me feeling “some kinda way” as we say due to complicated professional relationships and interactions. I came home prepared to be fully present for my kids and my husband...and stew about the work thing later.

Since I got home late, my husband had already started dinner for the kids, their weekly favorite of “breakfast for dinner.” I decided to make soup for the grown-ups: Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup.


I’ve made this recipe before and fell HARD for it. Surprisingly rich in flavor despite modest and few ingredients, it is rich and creamy and embraces the weary soul like a warm hug.


As I peered into the pot of sautéing mushrooms and garlic and onions, I inhaled their aroma and remembered a scene from Julie and Julia. In it, Julie has had another horrendous day at work. She comes home and makes a chocolate custard pie. Standing in their tiny Queens apartment kitchen peering into a steaming bowl of chocolate custard, she says, “I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say "nothing" I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. It's such a comfort.”


I knew after I let that soup simmer and reduce, I would experience a lusciously flavorful and healthy-ish bowl of cozy solace. What a comfort it is knowing what to expect.


You can’t put a price on consistent outcomes.



*She’s not a looker, but she’s a good’un.

Comments

  1. I like the way you describe the soup: "...it is rich and creamy and embraces the weary soul like a warm hug." It sounds perfect after a trying day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I want to make soup! It sounded so comforting after having "a day".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to cook and adored "Julie and Julia!" (I, too, wrote about cooking today for my sol.) This recipe sounds good. Thanks for including the link. I need to try it. (I'm a bit make-soup-and-freeze-it-for-when-I-need-a-warm-hug kind of soup maker.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts