Blow the Stink Off

My entire extended family lives in Ohio. I was born and lived there for a hot second until my parents moved us to Texas to support my father’s career. In my growing-up years, I spent a lot of time in the suburbs of Cleveland (Go Browns! ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿˆ) visiting my grandparents and aunts and uncles. 


My grandparents often took walks around the neighborhood after dinner. My grandfather would push his chair back from the table, slowly stand up, rub his protruding belly with both hands and say, “Come on, Prissy (his nickname for my grandmother). Let’s take a walk and blow the stink off.”


Always the class act, my grandpa.


They’d shuffle out the door and walk a few blocks this way and that, meandering their way home while I biked in circles on a red flea market Radio Flyer they kept in the garage for me to use on my visits.


Lately, I find myself taking lots of walks around my neighborhood to “blow the stink off.” We are living through troubled times. The world feels heavy, hard, and over-burdened.


But as I walk, I’m often reminded of my grandpa and his words of...wisdom feels too strong a word here. Unconventionally wise, my grandpa, his words of truth have stuck with me all these years and are helping me navigate a difficult season of life.


My strolls are much more for my mental health than my physical health, and when I remember my grandpa’s uncouth phrase, I smile. Sometimes, you just need to get outside, breathe deeply, and hope the change of scenery leads to a change in attitude.


Thanks for teaching me that, Grandpa.


Grandma & Grandpa Jaryga and baby Mallory

Comments

  1. Love this line: Sometimes, you just need to get outside, breathe deeply, and hope the change of scenery leads to a change in attitude. Thanks for sharing your what you learned from your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this clever slice! I enjoyed how you used the words from your Grandpa to connect with your current walks and how you think of them. There was both love and humor in this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great expression. You have me thinking about things my grandparents used to say. When I walk in the park after school today, I'll be thinking about your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mallory, as I take my Sunday morning walk today, I'll be thinking of this blog and beauty your stories offer the world. The photo of you as an infant sitting in Prissy's lap is precious. The visual you created of your grandfather pushing back from the table, rubbing his belly, and declaring his enduring wisdom made me feel like I was there in the moment. You are a writer, Mallory. I'm so glad I stopped by your blog. Now I think I will go blow the stink off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts